August 31, 2008

Plowman's Folly


Plowing proves to be difficult with our little Kubota and single bottom plow. After some adjustments on the plow I was able to get a furrow started, but with undulating ground and the lightness of the plow, it seems to clog when the coulter is unable to cut through the years of vegetation. My past experience with a plow included more horsepower on flat ground with relatively short vegetation. This is more frustrating than that ever was. The goal is straight furrows and completely inverted sod. This should still work but it will require continued cultivation. I hope to prepare a seed bed and have it planted this fall. Next spring I will mow the cover crop and only cultivate the rows I plant with strips of vegetation between rows.

No comments:

Post a Comment