December 16, 2008

Upwelling Ice

In December it is rare to have a sunny day around here. It is even less common to have below freezing temperatures day and night for such a long duration (5 days now).



I have been reporting back to the chickens around 1:00 each day in order to remove any ice from the waterers. Yesterday I walked past one of the wet spots on the property to check for any drainage and I saw an interesting texture to the ground.



I picked up one of these chunks of ice crystals to inspect it closely. From a distance I thought maybe it was a group of frozen mushrooms, after all it was the right height and color.



Upon further inspection it was an ice formation unlike anything I have ever seen. What I thought could have been shriveled and frozen mushroom tops was soil that has been lifted by these inverted icicles as they pushed upward from the field.






The ground here really is excellent, we can grow just about anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment