March 8, 2009

Favorite Days


I have a few favorite days in the calendar year. There are the obvious holidays and birthdays that everyone looks forward to each year but some of my favorite days do not have a special meal to go with the date. Daylight savings started this weekend and that means I can enjoy the daylight even after my 8:00 to 5:00 job is finished.
The other day I look foward to each year is December 21, winter solstice, the shortest day of the year, this gives me new hope of the longer days to come. I can remember my Dad looking forward to winter solstice, but it never bothered me as a kid. That could be because I was home after school at 3:00 and could enjoy some daylight.
Now as a working adult I understand his angst. I think it has something to do with the feeling of wasting the best hours of the day at a job and the idea of being held hostage indoors without natural daylight when I am on my time.
I shouldn't be so depressing on the celebration of such a great day. I can enjoy some time outside after work without a headlamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment