April 14, 2009

Trenching Made Easy

The rest of the asparagus showed up on our doorstep today. I was told it was being shipped soon so this past weekend I prepared the rest of the beds. It was about 150 more feet of trenching so our kind neighbor let me borrow his small backhoe. What a difference in speed and depth compared to digging the first row with a shovel.

Don't let the smile on my face fool you. This work is not fun at all.

String would get in the way while using the tractor so we used lime to mark the row. I tried to stay as straight as possible across the hillside and the trenches came out deeper and wider than the first, hand dug bed. I was able to load the bottom of the larger trench with partially decomposed straw and manure. The asparagus should appreciate the effort of the first bed and the size of the second two beds.

1 comment: