July 20, 2010

Sweet Peas for Sweet Memories

 mmmm....I wish you could smell these Sweet Peas through the computer!

We are firm believers that every vegetable garden needs flowers. They offer a splash of color to contrast the leafy greens, and flowers tend to bring a smile to faces in a way that vegetables can't. (Until you're eating them. Maybe I'll grow nasturtiums next year- then I can smile and eat them.) Flowers easily stir up memories too. Everyone in my family (this is Anna writing the sentimental blog) grows Sweet Peas. That's because my grandmother, Lois, loved Sweet Peas. So every year we grow them without question. My Aunt Jean always wanted to sell flowers at a roadside stand, but didn't have a chance in her lifetime.  One of her books, Flowers for Sale by Lee Sturdivant was passed on to me and is inspiring me to grow enough cut flowers to sell at the market-...now I just need to make time in the spring to plan and plant seeds and bulbs.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Anna - Grandma would love this blog post! After a definition of a blog...

    ReplyDelete