June 2, 2009

A farmhand! (and a lesson in radishes)


It is hard to find things to write about when the garden is slow and when we are going full tilt in the garden, I can't find time to write.
Aunt Theresa has been coming over once a week to help us here in the fields. She learned to "drive" the tractor and is seen here demonstrating the use of the wheel hoe. Best of all, she doesn't mind weeding. It has been wonderful to come home from work and see a bunch of progress in a vegetable plot. Last week any corn that had popped up was relieved of competition from neighboring weeds, and this week the flowers and corn can breathe again.

We have been eating a lot of salads and I am really pleased with the early irrigation and the tender lettuce. With the use of floating row cover over anything not needing pollination, the bug problems have been minimal.
I planted a bed of radishes and didn't get them covered; the flea beetles moved in and it looked like someone had taken aim with a shotgun and left small holes through all of the leaves. Until this morning I figured that shouldn't be too much of a problem since it is the root that I am interested in. I harvested a small bunch and I cut through a couple as part of my quality control and found cabbage maggots in just about every radish. I will never again grow a bed of radishes without a floating row cover.
Just about all of our major planting is finished and the first flush of weeds are cultivated under, so now we will try to update a little more often.

2 comments:

  1. Are you importing help from Ida Culver or what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna & Vince, you guys are really amazing. I can't believe you do all of this on top of your full time jobs. So impressed. Love, Dina

    ReplyDelete